Fish & Chips
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 4 cod fish fillets or 4 haddock fillets
- 6 oz. (170 g) Welna Tempura Batter Mix
- 8 fl. oz. (240 ml) beer
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- Salt & pepper
- Extra Welna Tempura Batter Mix
- 3 lbs. (1.36 kg) potatoes, peeled & chipped
- Good quality cooking fat or oil for frying
- Heat fat in a deep pan or automatic deep fryer – setting for chips is 375°F (190℃).
- Peel the potatoes and cut into chunky sized chips. Rinse and dry thoroughly.
- Fry chips for about 3 minutes until soft but NOT colored. Drain and shake well and set aside.
- Put some Welna Tempura Batter Mix onto a plate. Dredge the fish fillets
in the Welna Tempura Batter Mix thoroughly – it stops the batter sliding off when fried.
Leave the fish fillets in the Welna Tempura Batter Mix while you make the batter.
- Put Welna Tempura Batter Mix, salt and pepper into a large bowl. Add the beer gradually,stop when you have a thick coating type of batter. Whisk thoroughly until it is smooth and there are no lumps. Add the lemon juice or a splash of malt vinegar if desired. Mix thoroughly again.
- Adjust deep fryer to fish frying temperature of 320°F (160 ℃).
- Take one fillet of fish at a time and holding it by the tail or thin end. Swirl it around the batter until well coated – plunge into hot fat immediately. As soon as it has crisped up and set, add your other fillets one at a time, taking out the first ones as they cook – about 6 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness. Place onto a tray and keep warm in the oven.
- Turn up the heat setting to 375°F (190 ℃) again and cook your chips until golden and crisp.
- Serve on plates or newspaper with salt & malt vinegar.